Friday, February 04, 2005

8:28 PM

The Golden Compass

This book is awesome. Seriously. If you haven't yet bought / borrowed / stolen it in order to read it, do so. Do so now. Now Now Now. I started this book sometime in December and it took me more than a month to finish. Unbelievably scandalous, granted, but my reading pace was slowed to levels of extreme retardation due to Frenzied Christmas Shopping, Bouts of Extreme Busyness and a certain Literary Restlessness that wouldn't even let me sit down and re-read Charlaine Harris' "Dead Until Dark". So, of course, something was obviously mentally wrong with me.

That said, I seemed to snap out of it in mid-to-late January and I began to stay inside my house so that I could read and talk to NO ONE because I was reading His Dark Materials and they are AWESOME. live again. I also began to have dreams that I was Paula Abdul's assistant on American Idol, but this blog is about books, so.

I found "The Golden Compass" somewhat difficult to get into. Truthfully this may have been because of the aforementioned restlessness, but either way, I reached a certain point within the novel after pushing myself to read further and further and had simply had enough. I put it down, and there is lay for a few weeks. Then, while looking for something to read whilst waiting for my ride at work, I picked it up again, through it into my purse and thus began my love affair with Philip Pullman that he knows nothing about.

I'm currently working on "The Amber Spyglass" and I've just read the first five pages. I will probably post a review of "The Subtle Knife" when I am not gushing continuously, endlessly on about "The Golden Compass". I realize that this review hasn't even gone into the plot, but it is a fantasy/science sort of adventure that had me almost wishing I lived in the North. The Golden Compass

And then I remembered that I do, and it is god-awful.

I leave y'all with a plea that you pick up this book and you read it, and you read the second two books and you love the movie when it comes out in 2006 even though they are not going to mention the Church AT ALL in it and it might even possibly be ruined because of that. Read. This. Book. Please.

1 Comments:

Does it get any better than armored bears?

By Blogger Nick's Evil Twin Skippy, at 1:05 PM  

Post a Comment

1 fires burning
/
}

posted by // Sarah Sovereign


Cinder and Smoke
Some Whispers Around the Trees
The Juniper Bends
As If You Were Listening
With Ash In Your Mouth
You'll Ask It to Burn Again