Thursday, February 24, 2005

2:20 PM

Mary Freaking Poppins, P.L. Travers

Technically I only read the first few chapters of this book, last night, when I was bored out of my mind at 4 a.m. The reason I picked up this book was that I had decided to reminisce and watch the movie again earlier in the day, as it was one of my childhood favourites and I haven't seen it in over ten years, and as such I was curious to see how the book compared to the film.

Both of them are pretty much the same in that they are irritating as hell. There are some parts of the film I love -- I love when Katie Nanna is leaving and they are all singing Sister Suffragette, and my most favourite part ever is when they are singing Chim Chim Chiree and all of the dirty Chimney Sweeps come into the house and start dancing with everyone. The scenes at the bank with the Senior Mr. Dawes still freak the hell out of me, as they are part of some fabric of my childhood nightmares and probably the reason I hate going to banks. I also love the tea party on the ceiling scene, as well,* but my main problem is thus: Mary Poppins Herself**.

I love Julie Andrews, even though I can't stand her two most famous movies, those being "Mary Poppins" and "The Sound of Music". I think she is a really classy lady and I love her voice. That said, Mary Poppins is irritating. I suppose there is supposed to be some humour in her being how she is, but I just found it grating. Just relax a touch, Mary, and enjoy your damn ceiling tea party.

The book is shades different -- four kids instead of two and Mrs. Banks actually meets Mary Poppins. There is also further insight into Mary Poppins' character (makes me hate her even more) and some more background on Uncle Arthur's ability to float to the ceiling when he laughs.

I haven't actually finished the book, so I will refrain from commenting on the whole thing, although I will say that I have absolutely no intention of finishing it.

... on the plus side though, my copy is from the Walt Disney version, in that it must have been sold right after the movie was made, is in superb condition and still contains the library card inside -- all dates listed 1968.

*And who can keep from laughing crying at the "Feed the Birds" scene? Note, Mary Poppins was the last movie for Jane Darwell (Bird Woman) of Grapes of Wrath fame.

** That said, there is also something infinitely charming about Mary Poppins. I can't even put my finger on it, but she is not totally hateable. And I love her fashion sense.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

0 fires burning
/
}

posted by // Sarah Sovereign


Cinder and Smoke
Some Whispers Around the Trees
The Juniper Bends
As If You Were Listening
With Ash In Your Mouth
You'll Ask It to Burn Again